Saturday 22 February 2020

Original Song - Only A Fool

It looks as if I will be including more of my song lyrics in the future, I guess that there is only a difference in perspective between my poetry and the lyrics and I am not really writing much "poetry" at the moment. Also I will be trying to find a home for the lyrics (which I will be typing up) from songs written by myself over the past 60 years. Yep that was no typo, I have been writing songs since I was 120 years old. Some times in my life have been more productive than others but I have been at it for over 60 years.

This song was written, as I say when I was about 12-14; I was never very good at keeping a record of dates for most of the time and I can only date the songs from other memories of my life. I remember writing this and about half a dozen more whilst keeping a rythm going with a home made drum kit. The kit consisted of cardboard boxes, biscuit tin lids (the round ones, sometimes with nails drilled thru them to give a lovely swishing sound) and a couple of drums from an old toy set. Those did have skins however. Anyway, the lyrics:-

Title: Only A Fool 


written by John Dyhouse (1958/9)

You treated me bad
And put me down.
Then played around with other guys,
Out on the town.

But I still Love you,
I'm only a fool.
Won’t you please come back to me?
Stop being so cruel.


(Bridge) How could you hurt anyone so?
I really don’t know.
I’ll ask again, comeback,
‘Cause I love you so

If you still love me
Don’t be so cruel
Because I still love you so,

I’m only a Fool.
... Only a fool,
... Only a fool.

Notice that last stanza, in the song it would be called a coda ( or an outro in modern
parlance) but would probably have no place in a poem - or would it? Also would a
poem have a bridge?

If you would like to hear this, sung with a ukulele baking, you will find it here on
my music pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment