Tuesday 17 April 2012

A Poem By Artyfax


This poem has been set to music.

It tells of the ending of a love affair. The individual to whom this has happened is telling his story by using the metaphor of a song that is finished – a song that has been song, not to be repeated.

The Song Of My life.

The song of my life has been long
But now it is finally sung
And I sang it to you,
As I bade you Adieu.
Yes the song of my life has been sung.

Who cares now?

The words have no meaning for me.
The melody seems out of key.
I wished you farewell,
The performance went well,
But the song of my life has been sung.

Who cares now,
There’s no one conducting the band?

The harmonies hang on my ears
And sympathise with all the tears.
I watched with regrets
As you walked off and left.
Yes, the song of my life has been sung.

Who cares now
There’s no one conducting the band?
Who cares now. Who, who, Who?
It has a slightly strange structure as the chorus grows with each repeat after the verses. The whole chorus is used once only in the version set to music and acts as a contrast section after the second verse. For the poem, I did not want to retain this structure and so it became this extraordinary growing section. I think it is the only time I have ever used this technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment